Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing#23 Reflections of 23 Library Things

Favorites:
I loved the ease with which one could set up RSS and Cool Google Tools in such a non-threatening way for one so "computer challenged". Setting up Google Alert has brought to my attention many fascinating articles and ideas to be used with the Gifted/Talented students throughout the school year. Reading iGoogle has become an early morning ritual with a fresh brew of Starbuck's, keeping me up to the minute with happenings around the world, as well as local. I must say, I'm not missing the "silly segment" news reports from our local networks.On the more creative side, I enjoyed creating Online Image Generator and know the students will have fun being creative as well. This generated a lot of ideas for projects and for my own presentations.Another favorite was learning about Wiki and pbWiki. As previously mentioned, it will really improve collaboration among colleagues for team planning. Learning about Rollyo will greatly improve my teaching approach to research without the headache of worrying about a student journeying off to the far depths of undesirables by having the luxury of self selecting and guidance into areas known to be filtered.
Affects-Lifelong Learning Goals:
Without sounding like a testimonial for NutriSystem, I never knew I could learn all 23 Library Things is only nine weeks, and look at me (Oops, that really is from NutriSystem!) This feeling of doubt weighed heavily upon my shoulders when I first started the program, but was quickly lifted with the creation of my Avatar. With each new assignment, I continued to gain strength, holding my breath throughout all the twists and turns. Now with eyes wide open, all I can say is,"What a ride. Can I do it again?"
Tweaking:
Some of the assignments seemed redundant to me. I also think explanations for some of the assignments could be more informative, appearing quite vague at times. Although I found CommonCraft shows to be helpful with the 'what" aspect of a given tool. I would have liked a little more 'how'.(Podcast - Rollyo) After viewing Rollyo, I was still not sure how to implement this tool, until Bruce Goodner presented his Podcast, bringing about all sorts of possibilities I want to try.
One Word: Epiphany

1 comment:

VWB said...

I knew you would do it! Congratulations on completing your summer technology adventure. hope you will keep us informed thru your blog how you use some of the tools with your kids.