Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Things#22 Nings and Things

Nings will be another way for students to collaborate with others interested in the same book series. While reading about Nings, I think is would be fun to set up Book Club accounts for those interested in Stephenie Myer'sTwilight series, Scott Westerfeld's Uglies, Christopher Paolini's Eragon, and Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series (Like the Trekkie, Harry Potter fans of old) I think the students would find it interesting to hear the views of others who share similar interests from different parts of the world. I know many of the students that have X-Box Live, excitingly talk about challenging others from Great Britain, France, Canada and Germany,to name a few. Nings could also be set up to collaborate on project or hobby interests. Although i am not a Librarian, I joined the YA in School Libraries site to "lurk" at shared ways some librarians motivate students with YA novels. I did set up a Ning account for sailors who own the same type of sailboat to collaborate sailing experiences, boat repairs, and equipment used. (mainly for my husband) Out of curiosity, I checked to see if there were any NIngs accounts from my Alma mater, and was amazed at how many results came up. This will be a great way to renew old friendships.

2 comments:

Grendel said...

I like the way you navigated outside the box--nings for sailors!

Teacher Mommy said...

That is a wonderful idea to use the nings to set up book clubs. I bet the students would love to hear from others around the world. Good idea!